Thursday, February 16, 2017

A New Project for 30 days

Writing and receiving letters from my husband.

I just returned this week from a week in Phoenix spending time with my friend Susan and her husband, Ken.  She shared with me a practice that she and Ken engaged in last month.  She had the idea that it might be nice to write letters to each other for 30 days.  And that is what they did.

Susan and Ken were married in 1971 and I can still remember being her bridesmaid.  Their marriage - like all of ours - has its joys and struggles and I really think she was inspired by this idea.  They shared with me what a gift it was for them as it offered opportunities for thinking about each other on a daily basis and taking the time to write what was on their mind.  She assured me that one of the ground rules was that it was not meant to be a time to air grievances or give "corrections" but just to share their thoughts.

I am very intrigued by this.  After 21 years of marriage, Chuck and I have times when we may spend time together but not really talk with each other in more than a cursory or informational way.  So, when I came home I suggested it to him and he assented.  In a Chuck way - wondering if we could do postcards or post it notes.  I insisted this was about doing something a little "deeper" and "more intentional" so he was game to try.

Yesterday we want to office max to buy our supplies for the month - cards, envelopes, pens and tablets (in case we write more than a card worth.)  Today was the first day and by noon there was a card for me and a card for him on the dining room table.  His message was short and sweet and mine was longer and more serious - but that is us.  My guess is that this is going to be an interesting project.

I write this to encourage other couples to try it out.  Susan and I are both going to suggest to our friends and family members to try and to see where it leads us.  Like I always say about "Reiki" - it can't hurt and it might even help.

So, we began today and who knows what missives are coming in the next 29 days.


No comments: