Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Full and Rich

That is what i often say about my life and it is so true.

I am home from Advance Conference right now for a quick 6 hours - in which i have visited with Josh and Zak, the sons of Shirley Kendall. Shirley passed away on Sunday afternoon and her funeral is going to be on Thursday morning and after I finish this blog I will start to write it. Shirley was a saint of the church and it is because of people like Shirley that pastors know they are just blessed.

It was two years ago - during Advance Conference - that I also had to make a quick trip home from camp. Shirley had some complications and had to have her leg amputated. I got there just before surgery and it seemed to all of us a time of grace. I prayed with her and she went through the surgery without any problems. And then she lived for two more years in gratitude. That was Shirley - always grateful. During those two years her son Josh took care of Shirley. In the past, she had women helpers but her physical needs really required someone stronger and Josh was blessedly able to be that someone. Also, Josh became a father for the second time and had a beautiful baby girl. To visit Shirley this year was pure pleasure as she just loved that baby and her sons and was always happy to see me (or anyone.) I cannot say enough about what a wonderful woman she was - but I also am blessed that Thursday I have much to say. :)

My time at Advance Conference is always good and this year is no exception. Audrey and Jim Bane are doing a keynote together on what the Bible says about sex - that will be tomorrow. Too bad I can't film it - but I am grateful that I get to go to it. I may write about it - all I know is that it is fun to watch their preparation together.

Also, my keynote is now on Friday and it looks like it is going to be really interesting. I thought I was doing a talk on "Dysfunctional Families in the Bible" but what it is turning into is going to be about how we can use the Bible to help us to find healing from our dysfunctional families. I am about two thirds done - and look forward to what more I am learning and finding in this process.

When I stopped at home I found that i had my new blog in the mail. That is I put together a second book of writings from "Margot Ruminates" that covers me from 2009 in April (my birthday month) to 2011 of this year. It is awesome to have a tangible record of what I have done, thought and written during these two year.

And yes, it is a full and rich life. I feel blessed to be able to pastor, to preach, to learn, to mother, grandmother, and befriend.

And write about it

No comments: