Friday, April 29, 2011

The Wedding

I am up early and the wedding is on and I am definitely enjoying "The Wedding" - of Kate and William.
I have a fair amount of experience with weddings and this is a really beautiful one!

Here is what I like

1. The pageantry and the attention to detail. It is wonderful watching the carriages, the horses, the majesty of all of it done so well. I love it.

2. The fashions - the hats, the yellow ensemble of the 85 year old queen, Pippa's gorgeous dress, and of courst Kate's beautiful wedding dress. Her arms and shoulders are covered as a token of respect which I find myself liking. Often I see too much flesh from my perspective - with brides and bridesmaids - I like the modesty!

3. The music - especially The boys choir - what beautiful voices.

4. Seeing the couple with Prince Harry and her father together at the altar. They seemed relaxed and ready. It was so familiar looking to me about how weddings are - this combination of tradition and ceremony and family feeling. And, of course, as a pastor - I get a front row seat to what is going on in the ceremony itself.

5. The service was actually similar to the wedding service that I do. I loved the reading of Romans 12 - I felt like I heard those familiar words in a new way.

6. The message from the Bishop (?) starting with a quote from Catherine of Sienna: "Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire." And talking about marriage and how we have to "wean ourselves from self centeredness."
yes! Yes! Marriage is this mystery which can help us to grow emotionally, spiritually, if we are open to it.

7. The crowds cheering. The sense of joy in the happiness of others. I know that sounds corny but I love it. Their applause and excitement.

8. The bells that ring and ring and ring in celebration.

9. The photography and the TV coverage that actually shut up during the ceremony

10. The bride and the groom who seem mature, poised, happy, and like they will be partners in this very strange role that they will live together.

I have officiated at many weddings and for me - for the most part - they are real occasions of joy and people make a commitment to each other - to say YES to a new future together.

So, I am not jaded at all about this - but I see in this magnificent wedding the same expectation and shared community that I have experienced in so many other weddings that I have been part of.

1 comment: