Thursday, January 21, 2021

A new day

Yesterday on and off I watched the inauguration and the party.  It feels like a new day with a new president.  I did my zoom Bible study last night and in the check in people basically shared - their hope and their optimism - me too.

I have to say the love the pomp and ceremony of the inauguration itself and watching the people - especially the women - in their colorful coats.  There was something of that whole day in the obvious care and planning that went into it, that just inspired me. And the fireworks at the end of the day were just amazing.  A good beginning to what I hope will be a time of unity and people working together.  I hope, I hope, I hope.

I was especially touched by the poem written and read so well by Amanda Gorman.  She is a gifted writer and she left us with words of challenge and hope.  She wrote of raising this "wounded world into a wondrous one"...."we will rebuild, reconcile and recover".....and ended with these words:

when day comes we step out of the shade,

aflame and unafraid

the new dawn blooms as we free it

for there is always light,

if only we're brave enough to see it

if only we're brave enough to be it 

There is so much power in words and her words - so well crafted - lifted so many people.  

I am preaching in 10 days and feel energized in that task of putting words to paper..  The text I am using is Mark 1: 21-28 in which Jesus is preaching "with authority" and a man with an unclean spirit cries out.  It is another example of the power of words - to threaten or unsettle or reveal what is inside of us.

And last night I led a Bible study where we spent time with Mathew 12 which spoke of the power of our words:

  33 “Either make the tree good, and its fruit good; or make the tree bad, and its fruit bad; for the tree is known by its fruit. 34 You brood of vipers! How can you speak good things, when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. 35 The good person brings good things out of a good treasure, and the evil person brings evil things out of an evil treasure. 36 I tell you, on the day of judgment you will have to give an account for every careless word you utter; 37 for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

All of this leads me with a deeper awareness of the call for all of us to consider our words - and be full of care - they can truly change the world.

It feels like a new day to bring love and light into this world.

Here is a blessing for today

May the God of WARMTH be with you.  

May you be warmed by the love of God and fired by the message of the Gospel.

May you know an enthusiasm born of the deep-down knowing that you are loved.

 Into a world that is often cold and dark may your own warmth bring with it the light of God's presence.

May the God of WARMTH bless you.




No comments: