Saturday, October 3, 2020

Vulnerability

One of my friends had a heart attack this week.  She lives alone and - in the middle of the night - was aware that something was wrong.  After a while, she determined she needed to call the squad.  She was taken to the hospital and cared for and is now home. Similarly I have another friend who broke her leg in the shower and also - living alone - had to manage to call the squad to get care in the hospital. 

I hear these stories with concern for them and also an awareness of my own vulnerability.  I write this on Saturday morning after learning that our president has been flown to the hospital after his Covid diagnosis. My guess is - actually my hope is - that he is becoming aware of his vulnerability.  There are somethings we cannot control.

This morning I began my prayer with the "Pray as you go" App  had this scripture  from Matthew 18: 1-5

 At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” He called a child, whom he put among them, and said, “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever becomes humble like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.

 

What struck me in this reading was these words: " unless you change and become like children."  It often takes times of vulnerability to "become like children" - aware of our need of help, open to learn, vulnerable, open to God.  I think of the song we all sang as children - Jesus loves me and the line - We are weak but he is strong.

My friends are women of faith and are looking for and often aware of God's presence in the midst of hard times. They are humble people and know that they are weak.  That truly is my hope and prayer for our president today.  I pray for healing - not only physical - but also spiritual. It is in the darkest times when we acknowledge our weakness that we experience the light of Jesus and God's  gracious love often expressed  through caring people. 

 I will end this post with a wonderful quote by Madeleine L'Engle

 “When we were children, we used to think that when we were grown-up we would no longer be vulnerable. But to grow up is to accept vulnerability... To be alive is to be vulnerable.”
 Madeleine L'Engle

 



No comments: