Monday, June 17, 2019

Gay Pride Parade

I walked in the Gay Pride Parade again.  It has been 5 years since the last time when I was the pastor of Karl Road Christian Church.  And it was wholly different from the past and  there were moments of uplift and inspiration.

The difference was that Audrey and I walked with First Communiy Church, the large progressive church that we joined two years ago.  We continue to struggle with finding our place in this community - it is so large that when I meet people, I may never see them again.  It feels that way, anyway.  And it is  - and I have to say this - LIKE MOST CHURCHES -  not friendly.  People talk to the people they already know and do not often introduce themselves.  So, in the two hours of waiting in Gooddale park for the parade to begin, there was disappointment that we really did not - again - make the connections that we wanted.  And, it is very different from being the pastor when you are literally in the middle of everything and everyone.  As I watched the pastors in attendance working I was not wishing I was still in that position.  I just wished I knew more people.

We got there at 10:15 and started moving at 12:15.  The parade itself started at 10:30 so that can give a sense of how large it was.  The atmosphere in Columbus was just electric.  It feels like a party and everyone is invited.  There was music with many of the groups and it feels like there is just a rhythm going on all the time.  As we walked Audrey was blowing bubble and I was waving a flag and saying "Happy Pride."  Everyone just seemed happy and that has been my experience every time I have marched.  There were two places along the way where we encountered "haters" - that is Christians who are condemning gays to hell based on their reading of scripture.  That really is the reason that I think it is important for churches to march in the parade.  We counter that reading and stand with the LGBT community in affirmation and support.

Erik is the flotilla commander of the Coast Guard auxiliary and he had a booth on the bridge on Rich Street.  It was heartwarming to see the openness of everyone to all kinds of people.  Marnie and Maggie spent the morning walking around and we joined them after we marched.  So, it really was a family affair.

I first walked in the parade about a dozen years ago.  Nicole Bunch and Seth Stout  at Karl Road  put together a group and made all the arrangements.  I remember the first time as I walked with church members and  Marnie and Addie and Reagan and Marnies siblings Eileen and Christopher.  We were consciously  making a statement and supporting Audrey who was in Tennessee.   A couple of years latere I was able to walk WITH Audrey as she came to Columbus for a mission trip and her kids did a flag routine as part of our "float."  It was such fun.

Now this year, it is just Audrey and me.  I am older than ever and by the time it was over I felt pretty darn tired.  It was wonderful to see friends along the way - out of the thousands of spectators they called my name  - and I was able to greet them and  hug them.  It made me aware of the great blessing of my life in ministry that I have had so many different friends.

So it was a day that was filled with a whole variety of experiences in community.  As I live into my current life, I will continue to seek new connections with new people at my new church.  At the same time, I am so grateful for the all the people I have known and continue to cherish in my past church.

No comments: