Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Storage Wars?

I don't watch the show but I am now living it - sort of.

I remember living in Bowling Green, coming home from work and seeing the garage open and thinking "I am married to Fred Sanford"
That was a joke at the time - but now it is true.

Chuck has discovered the auctions around Columbus that sell the contents of storage units. And, unlike on TV, they sell some of them cheap!!
So, in the last 10 days he has purchased the contents of 5 units - paying from $5 to $15 for each one. Cheap.

And he is really having fun. The garage is full and he is constantly sorting things and sending things in various places. Some of the goodies have included: a george foreman grill, two rocking chairs, beds, cabinets, an Ipod, and lots of toys and clothes and books. He has taken books to half priced books, clothes to goodwill, and lots of stuff given to friends. He is going to sell some things on craigs list and at a craft and vendor fair at church.

I am writing about this today because I have so many thoughts about it all. It speaks to the fact that we all have too much stuff. I don't have a storage unit - I have two closets in my bedroom and a basement with too much of my stuff.

It also reminds me of how hard life is for so many people. It is possible that this storage is here because someone was evicted or foreclosed on and had to move to a smaller space.

What I know is that we are the recipients of someone else's loss. It is strange to go through things and find pictures, baptismal certificates, diplomas, court orders, etc. And you wonder what is the story behind the circumstance that had these people put their treasures in storage and then not pay the rent. It is for the most part, a mystery and there is a real sadness about this for me.

And on the other hand, I do love to see my husband so happy and he is doing what he does - giving things away and recycling if he can.

Chuck is a man of many interests and they do come and go. This one is here for a while and I am enjoying his passion!

No comments: