Sunday, October 11, 2009

Weekend

It is Sunday night and I am waiting for Chuck's race to be over so then we will have dinner together. As I wait, I am watching Chris Noth on a Law and Order Rerun and happy. Waiting.

Our gospel praise service is in a time of transition and I think that we are going to grow. I hope so. Charles Ferguson, who has been our preacher for 3 years will be leaving at the end of the year. Today we had a guest preacher and it was really great. Robert Hearn preached and brought his family with him - his father who is a pastor in Mansfield and 4 siblings and their families. Plus some other friends came as well. We had three times as many people as we usually have and it was so much fun to sing and to pray and to just be together. It was wonderful and I hope that we will get to a place like this soon. One of the men who came is an evangelist who lives across the street from the church. He and I talked in the parking lot afterward and he gave me a lot to think about - about bringing the church to the community. It feels like the spirit is moving.

Yesterday Chuck and I bought a mattress at a store on Morse Road. The man who sold us the mattress also lives in our neighborhood. He is a Palestinian Muslim originally from Jerusalem. We got into a really interesting discussion about religion and exchanged names and numbers. With the possibility of further conversation. With both of these men, I wonder what the future will hold - people very different from me, but with a perspective that might help me to learn.

One other blessing from the weekend was dinner at Marnie and Erik's house. Erik's mom was there and we really enjoyed her company. She is a person who loves to do crafts which will give her a wonderful bond with Reagan and Addie (and certianly not something that I am interested in.) I see this new family forming in good ways. After dinner Addie and Reagan made a tend in the living room from blankets and tables. I remember doing that as a little girl and I remember the girls doing that as well. You can buy kids all kinds of toys - but sometimes making a little place of your own is the best thing in the world.

Anyway, as always, an interesting weekend - fulfilling in its own way.

No comments: