Saturday, August 3, 2024

The two worlds

When I raise my head out of my own pain and worry about my personal future, I face the dissonance that we live with in what Richard Rohr calls "The two worlds."

This morning I read Richard Rohr's email from the Center for Action and Contemplation.  It was the weekly summary describing "The Reign of God."

 "There are always two worlds.  The world as it operates is power, the world as it should be is love.  The secret of the kingdom life is how we can live in both simultaneously.....God's reign is about union and communion, which means that it's also about mercy, forgiveness, nonviolence, lettering go, solidarity, service and lives of love, patience, and simplicity"  

These words speak to my soul and my aspiration of who I want to be and how I want to live.

Then I read the latest by Heather Cox Richardson about how the Trump people borrowed money from the Eqyptian President in 2016 and all the subsequent ways the Justice Department  tried to investigate and prosecute.  At some point Bill Barr just killed the investigation.  The level of corruption is horrifying.  

I choose the kingdom of love and need to find a way to believe - do I believe? - that it in any way affects this kingdom of power?  That is the wondering.

Breathe in, breathe out. Let go and trust.  And move forward into the unknown future.  Both mine and the country's.

No comments: