Sunday, July 21, 2024

The power of prayer

That is what I pondered today as I sat in church - what is the power of prayer?  What difference does prayer make?

I had emailed both Joanna and Tim, the ministers of the church yesterday to tell them about the cancer diagnosis and my upcoming chemo tomorrow.  Joanna wrote me back (Tim on vacation) and in church my name was mentioned during the time of prayer.  It really touched me to hear that.  Marnie gave my name to her church and I think Gender Road church is including me in prayer.  I believe that it makes a difference that people will pray for me.  I don't know what difference - that is the mystery - but some difference.  

After church I went to Larry and Jan to tell them about the cancer. Larry is a 90 year old retired Presbyterian minister and he and I co lead a Bible study which is now on hiatus but will begin again in the fall.  As I told him today - that Bible study really gives me life.  But I am aware that it is possible I may not be available for a while.  What really pleased me today was that when I told Larry, he immediately grabbed my hand and said - "We need to pray for you."  And there in the sanctuary as people were leaving around us, the four of us stood and Larry earnestly prayed for healing for me and strength for John.  It was very powerful for me.

As I sat in church this morning the tears came and went throughout the service.  I was aware that what I wanted was a sense of peace within me.  And after Larry's prayer, I had that.  God is here always with me, with us.  Healing, strengthening, loving.  It is good that many, many people have said and surely are praying for me, but it is really wonderful when one reaches out and prays WITH me.

So, here is a prayer for tomorrow from Maxine Shonks book of prayer - "Silver Linings"

May God bless you with healing presence

when you are broken.

When your will and your passion are rendered useless by the circumstances of your life,

May you look to God to restore you.

May you return to the union with God that was there at your creation

and may God bring you back to wholeness.

In the fullness of God's presence may you reclaim your purpose and call.

May the God of HEALING PRESENCE bless you.



No comments: