Thursday, September 24, 2026

Adventures at an Infusion

 So I saw Dr. Backes and I came away with some questions about my CT Scan.  I knew that there was some questionable something  - an inflammation or new nodules in my chest xray but basically everything else was getting smaller.  I didn't realize there was something questionable in my peritoneum - thickening or something.  So I looked it up this morning and it is a big fat maybe.  More of my living in the "I don't know."  I think I will give it to God.

The other thing that happened was when I got my infusion.  I was all settled in.  I had made John and me a sandwich and gotten started on the first infusion of anti nausea medication and was all set for chemo and John went to get more snacks.  I was behind a curtain literally tied up with  tubes and I heard a crash.  And the nurses came running.  I figured he fell and he did.  I could only hear what was going on.  Finally a nurse informed me that he fell and they were getting him up.  They put him in a massage chair and he rolled past and I waved.  They wheeled him in the space adjacent but I still couldn't see him.  He had ice on his elbow and hip. The nurses were extremely solicitous and joking with him and said they were not used to taking care of a man!  They  could not help him beyond what they had done  and called the EMT who wheeled in a bed for him and asked him whether he wanted to go to the hospital.  He said NO and they left.  Crazy afternoon.

Then they started  my 30 minute final infusion.  When they checked on me a half hour later it turned out something was  wrong and it had not worked and the bag was still full.  By this time it was at the end of the day and I was left with two wonderful nurses to get it going right.  I left that day 5:30 after starting my day with PT  at 10:15.  What a day.  

All you can do is laugh.

I finished The Book of Joy by the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu.  The second pillar is humor and he writes:

"Smile and see if you can chuckle at your problem, at your shortcomings, at your frailties.  Try to find the humor in the situation and in your struggle.  Even if it is a very grave and serious situation, there is often some humor that can be found.  The human drama is often a comedy and laughter is the saving grace.  This ability to laugh allows us to accept life as it is, broken and imperfect, even as we aspire to a better life and a better world." 

 Sometimes all you can do is laugh.


No comments: